How many credits do I need to be considered a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior?

Class standing is determined by credit hours completed. Credits in the current semester that have not yet been completed do not count toward the following hour requirements:
Freshman: 0 - 27 credit hours
Sophomore: 28 - 59 credit hours
Junior: 60 - 89 credit hours
Senior: 90 + credit hours

How many hours do I need to take to be considered full-time?

Full-time status is 12 - 18 credit hours per semester. Full-time students generally enroll in 15 - 16 credit hours per semester. To enroll in more than 18 credits hours in a semester, you must have the permission of the Registrar/Director of Academic Advising. Additional tuition charges will apply.

How do I drop and add classes once I have registered?

Once you have registered for a class, you may drop and add classes via Self Service, as long as there are no holds on your account. If there are holds on your account, you should visit the Registrar/Academic Advising Center for assistance. Be aware of the financial and academic deadlines to add and drop courses, which you can find on the Registrar home page

What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a specific preparatory class or classes or a number of credit hours you must have completed before taking a class.

Do I need to take a world language?

Proficiency through the second semester of a world language is required for all traditional-age students. Students who transfer to Aquinas College with 60 or more accepted credits as well as those who have received an Associate of Arts degree from an accredited institution are not required to demonstrate proficiency. 

What does it mean to audit a class?

To audit a class, students must be formally admitted to the College and must pay half the regular per-credit rate. Auditors are expected to attend all classes and participate in the assigned activities of the class. Auditors may take all tests and submit assigned papers for evaluation, but they are not required to do so. Auditor status must be declared at the time of registration. In the event of limited registration, grade enrollees will be given preference. Not all classes are available for auditor status.

May I take a class for credit/no credit?

A course not required for a student's major or minor may be taken on a credit/no credit basis. The request must be submitted to the instructor during the first week of class. The instructor has the prerogative to grant or deny the request. Grades of CR (credit) count toward the 120 credit hours required for a Bachelor's degree but are not calculated in the grade point average. No more than eight courses taken for credit may be applied toward a degree. Credit equals C- or higher; No Credit equals lower than a C-.

What is a major? What is a minor?

A major is a designated program of studies made up of core requirements and electives of usually 30 to 48 credit hours in the same academic discipline. All undergraduate degrees, except the Associate degrees and the Bachelor of Arts in General Education, require the completion of a major. A minor is a designated program of studies made up of core requirements and electives of 20 or more hours in the same academic discipline. Minors are optional for most degree programs.

How do I declare my major?

The online major and minor declaration form can be accessed through the Registrar Forms page. Please note that completing this form does not automatically declare your major. The declaration of your major is contingent upon the department chairperson's approval. Once the form is submitted, it will be reviewed by the chairperson of your intended major and the Registrar/Academic Advising Center. If approved, the chairperson will assign you a primary advisor and the Registrar/Academic Advising Center will process your declaration.

How many hours are required for a degree?

In most cases to earn a Bachelor's degree, you must complete 120 semester credit hours of work, which include the completion of a major, the fulfillment of the General Education Plan, and sufficient elective credits to reach the minimum of 120 credit hours. You must meet the writing and mathematics proficiency standards and the residency requirement. The Bachelor of Arts in General Education (B.A.G.E.) does not require the completion of a major. All other requirements apply. To earn an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, you must complete 60 semester credit hours of work, which include the General Education Plan, meeting the writing and mathematics proficiency standards, and the residency requirement. 

What are the residency requirements?

A minimum of 30 semester credit hours must be earned at Aquinas College. Credit by examination, life experience credit, and CLEP credit do not count toward the residency requirement. Unless otherwise approved, you must be in attendance at the College full-time during your last semester prior to graduation and have completed a minimum of 30 of the last 60 hours toward your degree at Aquinas College.

How do I apply for graduation?

The Application for Degree Candidacy is available on the Forms page of the Registrar page, or in the office located in Hruby Hall Room 30. Students must complete the form and return it to the Registrar/Academic Advising Center. Students should complete this form two semesters prior to their expected graduation date. Degrees are posted in May, August, and December.

How do I request a transcript?

Official transcripts may be obtained by placing an order through the National Student Clearinghouse. Students who attended Aquinas College before the year 2000 may not have the ability to order digital transcript copies.

Unofficial transcripts are only available to active students. Students can obtain their unofficial transcript by logging into Self Service, clicking on 'Academics,' and then clicking on 'Unofficial Transcript.'

Can I earn a second Bachelor’s degree?

If you already hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, you may earn a second bachelor's degree at Aquinas by completing a minimum of 30 semester hours of residence credit beyond those required for the first degree and by satisfying all College and major requirements.

What determines Continuing Education status?

A continuing education student is one of the following: a students who education has been interrupted (an interruption of two or more years in their higher education, or four or more years since high school graduation), a student who has been continuously employed on a full-time basis for two or more years and who qualifies as a self-supporting student as defined by financial aid regulations, a student who is a veteran of the Armed Forces, or a student who holds a bachelor's degree or professional diploma.

Any other questions? Please email us at


Registrar's Office
030 Hruby Hall
Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
(616) 632-2871