In case of a Mental Health Emergency, click here.

Internal Referral Form & Instructions
View the Internal Referral Form and instructions for completing the form
How do you address the student with your concerns?

  • Talk to the student in private
  • Express your concern for their well-being. Be specific about the behaviors that have raised your concern. For example, “I’ve noticed you have not been going to class and I’m concerned.” “I’ve noticed you have not been hanging out with …and keeping more to yourself, is there something going on?”
  • Listen to what the student has to say- Avoiding judgment
  • Encourage the student to utilize their support system (friends, family, etc)
  • Suggest talking to a counselor, for example, “Wow, it sounds like you have a lot going on. Have you ever thought about talking to a counselor about this?”
  • Be prepared to address some of their concerns and fears related to counseling
  • Leave the option open for them to accept or refuse your suggestion/referral for counseling
  • Give your student some time to consider your suggestion. They may need to think about it.
  • Follow up with your student about what action they took, following up shows you really care and have an interest in their well-being.

Emergency Support:

For additional Mental Health resources, click here

Community Resources & Basic Needs:

Calling 2-1-1 of the United Way should be first line contact if unsure where to start for resource support. Dial 2-1-1 from land line only.  When calling from cell phone dial (800) 887-1107. They are an up to date database for resources in Kent County.

Senior Resources/Care Giving Resources:

Veteran Information: